Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Trouble Walking

It has been almost a month since I first found out I had bone cancer. I guess I should tell you how I found out this life changing news. It was back in April of this year, I noticed pain in my right leg which caused me to have somewhate trouble walking. Before I knew it the pain had gotten worse and I had difficulty walking. Of course my parents were concerend so I went to my family doctor who suggested I take Aleve for inflamation. The pain would be severe just by touching it! Another month went by and I still continued to have the pain so my Mom took me to a different doctor who just gave me Aleve only in the form of cream. I tried this but got no relief at all! So I went to see a bone doctor at AMC. He suggested we do a MRI and XRAYs. I had to wait a week to get the MRI done. That following week I got the MRI done and the doctor was able to give us the results right away. As my mom and I waited in the room the Dr finally came back and sat down and said "It doesnt look good" So I thought to myself 'Great! Its a torn muscle'. So I said "what is it??" Hes respond was the words I never expected to hear in my life "Its a tumor located on your bone" After hearing that it was like I took a blow to the stomach. He then continued to say "It looked cancerous" I asked him how big it was and he told me the size of an egg! The doctor then left the room to call Drs who specialized in tumors. He tried to get me an appointment to be seen right away at Duke in NC or Richmond. They are the closest hospitals with the up to date technology for treatment of tumors. He was able to get me an appointment that following Monday, July 25 at Richmond. After all this my mom bursted into tears, I'm sure something like this happening to a mother's child has to be their worst nightmare! As tears filled my eyes and this all began to sink in that I may have cancer I began to pray for comfort and strength and immediately I felt a "calmness" overcome me that everything was going to be okay.
After coming home that evening, my mom & dad discussed it and decided to go ahead and take me to Richmond that Friday morning to try and work me in. After getting to the drs.office that morning we talked to one of Dr. Damson's nurses who was very nice, and she was able to get us worked in that morning. Dr. Damson looked over my MRI with us and told us in order to find out what kind of tumor I had he needed to do a biopsy. He told us that since he comes to UVA on Wednesdays he could save us a trip and instead of doing it on Tuesday he would do it on Wednesday. So we set up the appt. for then. That weekend flew by and before I knew it, it was Wednesday and My dad, mom, and two of my sisters Carrie and DeAnna were headed to UVA. I arrived at the hospital and was prep for my first surgery. My pastors Bryan & Sebby Volpe and some of their family was nice enough to come up there for support. They prayed with me and after saying a few last words to my family the nurses took me back and gave anesthesia. The next thing I knew I was awake in my recovery room and my Doctor came in and gave my family and I the bad news. He said it was Ostosarcoma (bone cancer) He then made me an appt. to the cancer center and I then met with Dr. Douvas and started my chemo August 8.
I fully believe that God can heal me and He will use this for His glory!

"Ah Lord God! Behold, thou hast made the beaven and the earth by they great power and stretched out arm, and there is nothing too hard for thee" - Jeremiah 32:17

1 comment:

  1. Love your blog BJ :) Keep up your faith and keep on being strong! I'm here for you.. I love you <3

    ReplyDelete